Tea is one of the oldest and the second most consumed drink in the world after water. Until the end of the 19th century, the production was concentrated in Asia, however, rising global demand for tea have led other countries to cultivate their own tea. Now, it’s produced in 40 countries around the world. Today one of the main growing places is around the Black Sea. Tea arrived in this region through various routes.
The Mongols and merchants along the Silk Road were those who introduced tea to the Russians, Turks and Persians, as well as the people of Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan etc. Around the turn of the 20th century and after numerous attempts, tea began to be grown in the mountains between the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea. The climate of the Black Sea coast is suitable for numerous agriculture activities and products. The mild, damp oceanic climate of the Black Sea coast makes commercial farming profitable which is also beneficial for tea plantations. These plantations, scattered on the Black Sea shores, are today an integral part of everyday life.
Tea is the elixir of life!
- The way scientific studies and advertising campaigns have presented the benefits of tea over the past few years makes us think that this is some..
8 Healthy and Delicious Greek Herbal Teas
- Used countrywide in traditional cooking and get-well home brews, these herbs not only smell and taste great, but also have a host of..
Flu Recovery Tea Recipe by Botanist Dimitris Kallimanis
- “In a mug of freshly boiled water add 7g in equal measure of red rose petals, lavender flowers, oregano leaves, thyme leaves, mountain tea and..
- It is a plant native to Europe and West Asia, which can be grown in any region and in any climate.
- Its botanical name is "Silybum marianum" and it is a herbaceous plant, from the asteroid family.It thrives mainly in Mediterranean countries,..
- Humble but also extremely medicinal plant, nettle is found all over Europe and is very common in barren soils, fences, in nitrogenous soils nea..
- Mint tea is delicious and has many healing properties. Mint is one of the most famous herbs in the world.
- The official name of louiza or lemongrass is lippia citriodora or Aloysia citrodora.
- Like any herb, Lavender is full of gifts. Some we have discovered and enjoy while others benefit us without us knowing it.
- Diktamos (dichtamos) is a phryganic endemic to Crete with medicinal properties known since antiquity.
- The linden tree is a tree with a straight trunk, smooth dark chestnut bark, heart-shaped leaves and yellow erect inflorescences, which appear in..
Project Overall Objective
TEAWAY project focuses on the very specific element of the Black Sea agriculture which is the cultivation/production and marketing of tea. This means that the overall project objective is to Promote and show the local and regional tea products and their procedures to creating new market opportunities.
Agriculture is still a substantial or major component of the Black Sea Basin national economies. This means that this sector represents a significant part of export and employment. The project considers tea as an agricultural product which should be among the main goods traded between the BSB countries. This means that the project already at the principle level ensures a coherent compliance with the Programme Priority 1.2.* 1. Enhance the capacities of the SMEs and local/regional producers who manufacturing typical and special tea products * 2. Increase of the economic growth in the involved areas * 3. Increase the demand for the Black Sea Tea Production
Kick off Meeting, Xanthi The chamber of Xanthi, during the implementation of the project “TEAWAY -Promoting tea as the engine of growth for the Black Sea Area”, which is part of the programme “Black Sea Basin..
Requests and suggestions through the contact form can tell.